What is the exspected lifetime of a unused CR2023

Discussion around the SwissMicros DM42 calculator
mcc

What is the exspected lifetime of a unused CR2023

Post by mcc »

Hi,

suppose I want to buy a couple of CR2032s from a well-known brand.
Furthermore: The more I will buy the less I will pay per piece.
How many should I buy?

This would be a nice example problem to be solved by the DM42 as a program...if
some constant would be known.
What is the exspected period of time a single CR2032 can be used in the DM42 (this is highly
dependant on the user, though)?
How long a CR2032 can be stored in a cool and dry place until it is no longer worth to be used
in the DM42?

I know...this is by far no exact science...but a rule of thumb would be nice to better evaluate,
whether it is worth the money for buying -say- twenty CR2032s in one go...

Cheers
Meino
DM 42 - SN: 00373, Firmware release v.:3.22. / DMCP 3.24. as compiled by SwissMicros
grsbanks

Re: What is the exspected lifetime of a unused CR2023

Post by grsbanks »

With the exception of a period of a couple of months when I had an el cheapo battery in the device to see how it reacts when nearly depleted, I've had the original battery in the beta DM42 since I've had it (May this year) and it'snowhere near flat yet. I would guess I'll get about a year out of it.

The shelf life of a new coin cell is a good 10 years usually. I bought a batch of them a few months ago and their "use by" date is 2027.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
mcc

Post by mcc »

Hi,

OH! I hadn't thought of SUCH a shell life -- that's great/long ! When I am back home again I will start 'hunting batteries' :)
Thanks for the infos, grsbanks!

Have a nice Christmas time and a great 2018! Thank you very much for your support!

Cheers!
Meino
DM 42 - SN: 00373, Firmware release v.:3.22. / DMCP 3.24. as compiled by SwissMicros
grsbanks

Post by grsbanks »

No problem. They're really not hard to find. Just don't buy those really cheap ones because they're cheap for a reason. Buy from a well established brand such as Duracell, Panasonic, Energizer, GP and their ilk.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.