X: 3

INTDIV

T: 0
Z: 0
Y: 33

Cheers!
Meino
DM 42 - SN: 00373, Firmware release v.:3.22. / DMCP 3.24. as compiled by SwissMicros
Thomas Okken

Re: A couple additional functions that would be cool to have

Post by Thomas Okken »

Hi Meino,
mcc wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:55 am
Hi,

A function which leaves integer part and remainder on the stack would be nice:

Y: 100

INTDIV

Cheers!
Meino
I assume you meant the result for your example to be

X: 1

You know what else would be nice? Actual bug reports for those programs you claim to have that don't work on Free42/DM42.

Shouldn't we be fixing bugs before implementing new features? Or do those bugs even exist?

I'm still waiting. And getting more and more pissed off with every day that goes by without you providing any substance for those bug reports. Are you just slandering Free42 or is there really something wrong with it? If there are bugs, why won't you disclose what they are?

/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=285&p=3997#p3997
Hi,

over the time I collect A LOT of HP41/HP42s programs in raw format from the internet for the Free42 on my Android tablet.
Some does not run, and until now I found one which 'kills' Free42.
A commandline tool (I am UNIX/Linux based) to batch convert all of these would make it MUCH easier to view
them for problems before transferring them to the Android table or the DM42 internal flash only to see, that
they will not run.

Cheers!
Meino
grsbanks

Post by grsbanks »

Thomas Okken wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:10 am
You know what else would be nice? Actual bug reports for those programs you claim to have that don't work on Free42/DM42.
I would like to see them too on the off chance that they're actually problems with the DM42 rather than with Free42. The only way we're going to get a really good product is if we fix problems, and the only way we're going to fix them is if they're reported.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
toml_12953

Post by toml_12953 »

Bernd wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:07 pm
I have two proposals for additional functionality:

For the DM-42:
Since my program directory gets crowded more and more I have to scroll a lot until I get to the desired entry. I would like to have a keyboard search similar to that implemented in the WP-34S: Pressing a key brings you to the first entry beginning with the corresponding character. Pressing the second key sets the cursor to entry starting with the two characters and so one. After ~2 seconds pause or using the up and down button the search is reset.
This search mechanism could be applied to the CATALOG, too, e.g. by pressing the shift and character key simultaneously.

For the Free42:
I would find it useful to have all the functions removed from the FCN catalogue the can be found in the menus (also similar to the catalogue implementation in WP-34S). This would make the access to residual functions much faster.

Regards
Bernd
I agree with that (for what it's worth) :!:
Tom L

Some people call me inept but I'm as ept as anybody!
DM10L SN: 059/100
DM41X SN: 00023 (Beta)
DM41X SN: 00506 (Shipping)
DM42 SN: 00025 (Beta)
DM42 SN: 00221 (Shipping)
WP43 SN: 00025 (Prototype)
mcc

Post by mcc »

Hi,

...it was just the same "one in a million" accident -- equal to that mysterious deletion of two programs at once with the same name
which I couldnt reproduce either.

I also had a hard lock up of the DM42 while scrolling through the file list in the eeprom ... once. Not reproduceable.

The program in question causes a close of the Free42 - not the DM42.

From the kind of reaction to the report of the double deletion of two programs of the same name I learned, better to shut up.

When I can reproduce the problem scientifically 100 % secure, I will be back.

Cheers
Meino
DM 42 - SN: 00373, Firmware release v.:3.22. / DMCP 3.24. as compiled by SwissMicros
Walter

Post by Walter »

mcc wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:42 pm
When I can reproduce the problem scientifically 100 % secure, I will be back.
This is a good basic rule. :D The world is more than full of rumours and irreproducible stuff.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
Thomas Okken

Post by Thomas Okken »

There's nothing wrong with reporting rare / nonreproducible problems, as long as they are identified as such. For example, if someone tells me that Free42 returns 5 when you add 2 and 2, I'll try that, get 4, and reply "can't reproduce." If you say it happens rarely, but you've seen it under unusual circumstance XYZ, I'll have an idea of where to go to dig deeper.

So, Meino, I would be interested in seeing those programs that fail in Free42, whether they return incorrect results or cause it to crash, even if those malfunctions don't happen consistently. But when you post about bugs, you really should be more precise. From what you posted earlier, it still sounds as though you have a big collection of programs, several of which fail, one of which crashes Free42... All of which has the effect of making Free42 look like a buggy piece of junk, and meanwhile you're doing nothing to help the developer, me, to address those problems. THAT is problematic.
mcc

Post by mcc »

Hi,

I dont know exactly from what forum it was (something HP-museum, hpsometing...cant remember) there was an
officially link to a DVD available with a LOT of programs mostly HP41, which should run or fail but not crash the
Free42.

(PS> I think I found the link to the DVD: http://www.hp41.org/Archive.cfm)

I am a commuter and usually play around with Free42 on my Android tablet while sitting in the train between A and B.

To check, whether to get another one of that programs running on the Free42 I loaded one into the Free42, started it and
...no Free42 anymore. The train stops and I had other and at that moment more important things to do (for example to
get out of the train at the right moment).

The programs had "nice" names like:
./Users_Library_USA/raw/P834C2.raw
./Users_Library_USA/raw/wind.raw
./Users_Library_USA/raw/763C.raw
./Users_Library_USA/raw/99C-D.raw
./Users_Library_USA/raw/766D-S.raw
./Users_Library_USA/raw/97C-P.raw
./Users_Library_USA/raw/216D-P.raw
./Users_Library_USA/raw/903C-D.raw
./Users_Library_USA/raw/97C-I.raw
./Users_Library_USA/raw/390C.raw
./Users_Library_USA/raw/P796C.raw
./Users_Library_USA/raw/766D-P.raw
./Users_Library_USA/raw/788C.raw
./Users_Library_USA/raw/2921-P.raw
./Users_Library_USA/raw/524C-R.raw
./Users_Library_USA/raw/361C-P.raw
./Users_Library_USA/raw/261D-S.raw
./Users_Library_USA/raw/508C-P.raw
./Users_Library_USA/raw/336C.raw

(these are only an excerpt of that list and may be even the wrong program category)

Later I tried to reproduce the problem...no chance for two reasons: What was the program (I had a rough idea of the name still in my head) and:
each program I tried either "did something" or produces a clean error message.

Because one person has found a one-time-""""failure""""" and cant reproduce that very problem no one is thinking, a trusty 14-year-""""old"""" (in the sense of 14 years of development) program (Free42), which is known for its truthfully emulation of the HP42s is "a buggy piece of junk", Thomas.
SwissMicros decision to give your software a physical home in form of the DM42 proves it better than anything else.
And: I am trying to find this/these program/s, Thomas, instead of "doing nothing".
And - as I said - I learned to shut up until I can offer something with scientific accuracy and which is to 100% reproduceable.
I do this to not to spend even more confusion.
And I do this to save me some more answers with too much exclamation marks for my taste and such. Only my own opinion.

Cheers
Meino
Walter

Post by Walter »

As usual, also here some people are a little sensitive, others see a bug behind each and every surprising output, others should publish in the Journal of Irreproducible Results, others can't spell or express their thoughts properly in writing, and others have deviating hobbies. You'll find here everything you can also find in a village of comparable population.

HTH ;)
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
keithdalby

Post by keithdalby »

Walter wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:48 pm
others can't spell or express their thoughts properly in writing
Sorry if you've been [a/e]ffected by anything I've said :).