My Calculator DM42 ist arrived ;-)

Discussion around the SwissMicros DM42 calculator
ThomasJ

Re: My Calculator DM42 ist arrived ;-)

Post by ThomasJ »

#930 arrived here in Tokyo last week. I am extremely pleased with it. I have the DM15L and DM16L which are already great, but the DM42 is even nicer. Great body, keyboard and screen!
Thank you!
prasad22

Post by prasad22 »

AlexFekken wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:58 am
If anyone is still keeping track: my DM42 (SN 311) arrived yesterday, the 8th of January, in Brisbane, Australia.

Very, very nice!
Please could you tell us how many days it took after ordering. I am in Perth and would like to know approximately how many days it would take to arrive in Australia. Thanks.
mgmander

Post by mgmander »

Mine was shipped on December 13th and didn't arrive in Vancouver, Canada until February 6th (SN 424). That took so long I was quite sure it had been lost but since there was no tracking, I have no idea where the delay occurred.

Fantastic machine though, really well made with that solid metal back. Mine didn't quite sit flat on a table, but taking the back off, and giving it a very slight twist (not easy since it is quite rigid) has made it sit perfectly now. Due to the strength of the metal back, I suspect it will stay perfectly flat indefinitely. I do wish the rubber pads were positioned closer to the left and right edges though, since pushing the rightmost and leftmost keys causes the opposite side to slightly lift from the table, which makes it feels slightly less than rock solid, which otherwise it does.

My ENTER key was a bit mushy (not having a definitive tactile click) and only clicked properly when pressing the right edge, but backing off the PCB screw inside (on the same side as the ENTER key) by just under 1/2 a turn, has now improved its tactile feel. The ENTER key now clicks perfectly in the center and on the right edge, although the very left edge is still slightly mushy. However I find it more than acceptable now. The top row of number keys is a bit mushy too (actually, just the 8 and 9 keys) but I suspect with use, they might become a little better. Once the inside screw was adjusted, overall I've found the keyboard very good though, and have not had any issues with keys not registering, nor with bouncing. Key label contrast is great and readable in dim light, unlike the horrible key labels on my HP Prime, which I find near impossible to make out expect in really bright light. My Prime has basically languished without use due to the hard-to-read keyboard. That, and due to its poor overall RPN integration with programs. Still amazes me that there is no real way to read/write from the stack from within programs when in RPN mode, even after years of firmware updates. RPN totally feels like and afterthought on that machine...

No problems with my DM42 USB port - cables fit fine and there is no interference from the case, although the port does look offset towards the bottom of the case. The IR works great with my HP 82240B IR printer. The precision and exponent range is fantastic and makes it feel like a modern calculating machine, as does the fantastic display. I do wish the display had an anti-reflective coating though, since there can be quite a bit of glare from the overhead lights in my office. Apart from the glare though, the display is perfect and I use the second from largest font size for the stack (set to XYZTA), and the second from smallest for program display. Absolutely lovely to work with, especially with that degree of customizability.

I've done two firmware updates now without issue. I do wish I had a printed HP-42S manual, or a PDF that was indexed. I'll have to keep an eye to see if I can find a manual for sale. I am very familiar with other HP models (11C, 15C, 41CX, 32SII, 48SX, 49G, 50G and more) but don't have much experience with the 42S, except with Free42 of late while I was waiting for the DM42 to arrive. I need to figure out ASSIGN, CUSTOM menus and other 42S specific features. Looking forward to becoming familiar with this unit and writing some programs for it!

Thanks Swiss Micros for an fantastic new and modern RPN calculator!
pauli

Post by pauli »

#1018 in Oz!

Pauli
Walter

Post by Walter »

pauli wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:50 am
#1018 in Oz!

Pauli
Enjoy!
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
prasad22

Post by prasad22 »

Ordered on the morning of 5th February. My new toy DM42 #00757 has arrived at Perth, Australia this morning at about 10AM Western Australia Standard Time. Will play with it tonight.

Thanks Michael and SwissMicros.
rkf

Post by rkf »

Over_score wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:22 am
pyridine wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:16 pm
The most annoying part is the pouch, it is so tight I cannot put the calculator back into it... I am using my old HP11C as a nug fit to "loosen" up the pouch...
Same very little issue here...
I used my old HP42S to "loosen" up the pouch and used the 42S pouch for the DM42 in the mean time.
The reason for the too tight fit of the original DM42 pouch is the so-called "seam allowance" was chosen a bit too big. I simply put the pouch on the left side, and removed about 1.5mm of the seam allowance (the scissors of a Leatherman Surge are robust enough for that kind of cutting). After putting the pouch on the right side again, the fit was perfect - tight enough, but removable without hassles.
DM42 S/N 00761
dlomshek

Post by dlomshek »

My new DM42 just arrived 2 days ago. Serial No. 01040. Works perfectly, what a beauty. The keys on my unit work just fine for me.
I know some members have stated that the case is a tight fit for the calculator but I just wrung it tight a few times, like wringing out a wet wash cloth, and it now fits much better.

I have long been a collector/user of HP RPN calculators and this new fantastic RPN unit from Swiss Micros is the best there is.

Great to be a member of this forum. Keep up the great work Swiss Micros!!

dlomshek
Pittsburg State University
Pittsburg, Kansas USA
dingebre

Post by dingebre »

First, BRILLIANT CALCULATOR!

I bought two, and have a third on the way (one at home office, real office, and in my briefcase).

I too have noticed the enter key is a bit "dead" but only on the left side on both calculators. Anyone else notice this? Since I'm right handed and enter with my thumb/forefinger I hit the right side, so really not a problem more curious than anything.

In one of the ones I have, the USB port is also bit offset as others have noted and I had to try a couple of different cables to find one that inserted far enough to make reliable contact. But it all works great right now.

Very solid, love the tight fit on the back. The screen is superb.

Thank you everyone at SwissMicros for making this calculator.

David

mgmander wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:53 pm
Mine was shipped on December 13th and didn't arrive in Vancouver, Canada until February 6th (SN 424). That took so long I was quite sure it had been lost but since there was no tracking, I have no idea where the delay occurred.

Fantastic machine though, really well made with that solid metal back. Mine didn't quite sit flat on a table, but taking the back off, and giving it a very slight twist (not easy since it is quite rigid) has made it sit perfectly now. Due to the strength of the metal back, I suspect it will stay perfectly flat indefinitely. I do wish the rubber pads were positioned closer to the left and right edges though, since pushing the rightmost and leftmost keys causes the opposite side to slightly lift from the table, which makes it feels slightly less than rock solid, which otherwise it does.

My ENTER key was a bit mushy (not having a definitive tactile click) and only clicked properly when pressing the right edge, but backing off the PCB screw inside (on the same side as the ENTER key) by just under 1/2 a turn, has now improved its tactile feel. The ENTER key now clicks perfectly in the center and on the right edge, although the very left edge is still slightly mushy. However I find it more than acceptable now. The top row of number keys is a bit mushy too (actually, just the 8 and 9 keys) but I suspect with use, they might become a little better. Once the inside screw was adjusted, overall I've found the keyboard very good though, and have not had any issues with keys not registering, nor with bouncing. Key label contrast is great and readable in dim light, unlike the horrible key labels on my HP Prime, which I find near impossible to make out expect in really bright light. My Prime has basically languished without use due to the hard-to-read keyboard. That, and due to its poor overall RPN integration with programs. Still amazes me that there is no real way to read/write from the stack from within programs when in RPN mode, even after years of firmware updates. RPN totally feels like and afterthought on that machine...

No problems with my DM42 USB port - cables fit fine and there is no interference from the case, although the port does look offset towards the bottom of the case. The IR works great with my HP 82240B IR printer. The precision and exponent range is fantastic and makes it feel like a modern calculating machine, as does the fantastic display. I do wish the display had an anti-reflective coating though, since there can be quite a bit of glare from the overhead lights in my office. Apart from the glare though, the display is perfect and I use the second from largest font size for the stack (set to XYZTA), and the second from smallest for program display. Absolutely lovely to work with, especially with that degree of customizability.

I've done two firmware updates now without issue. I do wish I had a printed HP-42S manual, or a PDF that was indexed. I'll have to keep an eye to see if I can find a manual for sale. I am very familiar with other HP models (11C, 15C, 41CX, 32SII, 48SX, 49G, 50G and more) but don't have much experience with the 42S, except with Free42 of late while I was waiting for the DM42 to arrive. I need to figure out ASSIGN, CUSTOM menus and other 42S specific features. Looking forward to becoming familiar with this unit and writing some programs for it!

Thanks Swiss Micros for an fantastic new and modern RPN calculator!
David

Collision Forensics & Engineering, Inc.
www.CFandE.com

Analogue Realities
Analoguerealities.com
rkf

Post by rkf »

dingebre wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:33 pm
... I too have noticed the enter key is a bit "dead" but only on the left side on both calculators. Anyone else notice this? ...
MeToo, unfortunately. My workaround is trying to use only the rightmost part of the Enter key, giving the anticipated tactile feedback.
DM42 S/N 00761