DM42 User Manual

Discussion around the SwissMicros DM42 calculator
rprosperi

Re: DM42 User Manual

Post by rprosperi »

Vitasam wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:05 am
Is there an idea to make a high quality pocket variant of a kind of quick reference manual?
For the original HP-42S, there is an excellent pocket guide available, discussed here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=108

For the DM42, once it is stable and released, hopefully a user will create a new QRG for the DM-specific features, ideally one that can be printed, cut and inserted into the existing one.
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
grsbanks

Post by grsbanks »

rprosperi wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:55 pm
For the DM42, once it is stable and released, hopefully a user will create a new QRG for the DM-specific features, ideally one that can be printed, cut and inserted into the existing one.
Bob, I sent you a PM about 5 days ago (unrelated to this particular topic). Looks like you haven't picked it up yet :)
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

grsbanks wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:17 pm
Bob, I sent you a PM about 5 days ago (unrelated to this particular topic). Looks like you haven't picked it up yet :)
You're right, I had not noticed. Does this forum not send an email to recipient notifying of PM receipt by default?

I'll go read your PM now and then check my settings, maybe I never enabled it.
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
Walter

Post by Walter »

Well, help yourself or noone will. I took the list out of my OP and inserted what I found elsewhere in this matter so I don't have to search it again and again. Presumably I will continue adding stuff.
  • How to get a program (stored in the DM42) transfered into a computer - e.g. for convenient editing.
    Take your DM42. Connect it to your computer and turn it ON. Call SETUP > File > Activate USB disk. Your DM42 shall show up with three directories on your computer, one of them called PROGRAMS. Use your computer to convert the .raw file found in this directory into a .txt file as described below.
  • How to get a .raw file translated in readable text:
    Open http://howto-pages.org/SwissMicros/dm42 ... /index.php. Upload the .raw file from your computer. It will be decoded automatically. Copy the translation to clipboard.
    Open (MS) Editor and paste. ATTENTION: Some characters will not translate correctly - MS Word behaves better on my computer.
    Store the resulting file as .txt (unable to take some characters) or .docx (far better).

• Is there any "officially acknowledged" text file format for programs? If true, which? What's the respective recommended editor? Under which OS?
    Seems it is .txt. You can use the Editor found in the directory "Zubehör" on your PC. Though read the previous paragraph and Thomas' post below for more.
  • How to get a program (stored in a text file) translated into a .raw file.
    Open your .txt or .docx file. Copy its contents to clipboard. Open http://howto-pages.org/SwissMicros/dm42 ... /index.php. Paste it to the left window. If the right window isn't clear press [clear hex]. Press [Encode >>]. Then [Download] to store the .raw file on your computer.
  • How to get a program (stored on a computer as a .raw file) into the DM42:
    Take your DM42. Connect it to your computer and turn it ON. Call SETUP > File > Activate USB disk. Your DM42 shall show up with three directories on your computer, one of them called PROGRAMS. Use your computer to put your .raw file into this directory. Cf. 2.2.4 in the user manual http://www.swissmicros.com/doc/dm42_use ... anual.html of 2017-07-27.
  • Some sample programs for typical applications (don't have to be new, maybe sufficient you collect them at one place for easy access).
Last not least: the official user manual is here: http://www.swissmicros.com/doc/dm42_use ... anual.html
Last edited by Walter on Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:34 am, edited 6 times in total.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
Thomas Okken

Post by Thomas Okken »

Walter wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:03 pm
  • Is there any "officially acknowledged" text file format for programs?
When Free42 prints to a text file, it encodes the text as UTF-8 with Byte Order Mark (BOM -- only written at the start of new files) and CR/LF line separators. So, any tool that processes programs as text should support at least that.

If I ever get around to implementing text import and export, export will use that same format, but import will be more lenient, accepting CR/LF, LF, and CR line separators, UTF-8 and UTF-16, with or without BOM, and maybe also ISO-8859-1, Windows-1252, and Mac Roman.
Vitasam

Post by Vitasam »

Sorry, how to enable an inserting of a new operator in to the program, instead of replacing the old one? Some flag?
Thomas Okken

Post by Thomas Okken »

Vitasam wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:22 am
Sorry, how to enable an inserting of a new operator in to the program, instead of replacing the old one? Some flag?
When you create a new program line, it is always inserted after the current one (unless the current one is an END, in which case the new line is inserted before). The current line is never replaced; if you want to get rid of it you have to do so explicitly with the [←] key.
Vitasam

Post by Vitasam »

Thomas Okken wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:18 am
Vitasam wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:22 am
When you create a new program line, it is always inserted after the current one (unless the current one is an END, in which case the new line is inserted before). The current line is never replaced; if you want to get rid of it you have to do so explicitly with the [←] key.
Please take a look in to my video. I was about to add '1' after line #40, before LBL 99 command.

Is this a bug or result of my problems during flashing the 2.11.3?
Thomas Okken

Post by Thomas Okken »

Vitasam wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:29 am
Please take a look in to my video. I was about to add '1' after line #40, before LBL 99 command.

That's a DM42 bug: it isn't redrawing the part below the line being inserted. In Free42, this scenario never happens, because the line being inserted is always at the bottom of the screen, but DM42 needs some extra logic to handle this.

Note that nothing actually gets overwritten in the program; once you finish entering the new line, everything goes back to looking like it should.
Vitasam

Bug in 2.11.3?

Post by Vitasam »

Thomas Okken wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:14 pm
Vitasam wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:29 am

That's a DM42 bug: it isn't redrawing the part below the line being inserted. In Free42, this scenario never happens, because the line being inserted is always at the bottom of the screen, but DM42 needs some extra logic to handle this.

Note that nothing actually gets overwritten in the program; once you finish entering the new line, everything goes back to looking like it should.
Ok, it is a bug. In 2.11.2 it was Ok, if I remember correclty