Finally deciding to purchase DM 42. I have a question first however.

Discussion around the SwissMicros DM42 calculator
gomefun2

Finally deciding to purchase DM 42. I have a question first however.

Post by gomefun2 »

I notice that the calculator is currently 307 Canadian dollars (plus 23 CAD for shipping) on Amazon.

This seems more expensive than directly buying it from Swissmicros. Since Swissmicros 199 CHF price converts to roughly 267 CAD. I don't see a shipping price however. What additional fees are there when buying directly from Swissmicros.com? (Shipping? Tariffs? Taxes? Fees?).

Is it actually cheaper for me to purchase from the Swissmicros website vs Amazon?

Thanks.
grsbanks

Re: Finally deciding to purchase DM 42. I have a question first however.

Post by grsbanks »

Hi there,

The SwissMicros website quotes CHF 16 to ship to Canada, so the total cost is CHF 215.

Google makes that CAD 288 right now.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
Walter

Post by Walter »

gomefun2 wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:32 am
I notice that the calculator is currently 307 Canadian dollars (plus 23 CAD for shipping) on Amazon.

This seems more expensive than directly buying it from Swissmicros. Since Swissmicros 199 CHF price converts to roughly 267 CAD. I don't see a shipping price however. What additional fees are there when buying directly from Swissmicros.com? (Shipping? Tariffs? Taxes? Fees?).

Is it actually cheaper for me to purchase from the Swissmicros website vs Amazon?
Counterquestion: How do you expect a price to develop if there is a trade intermediary?
  1. Fall?
  2. Stay constant?
  3. Rise?
Please decide and act accordingly.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
gomefun2

Post by gomefun2 »

It was more expensive to buy it off Amazon than swissmicros.com for sure. Quite a bit more.

I bought it off Amazon anyway. The reason is, I read that sellers are supposed to include all duties/fees in their price when selling on Amazon.ca. So I was hoping there wouldn't be any surprises and buying from Amazon would go smoothly.

I have never paid duties/fees on an Amazon item before, even when purchasing internationally, so it made sense to me that the Amazon price would include these things.

Hopefully, I won't have to pay any additional fees.

Anyway, I guess I'll let you guys know when it gets here (it will probably be delayed if it is coming through Canada Post which has a backlog due to a strike).

It's already shipped so just have to wait now.
grsbanks

Post by grsbanks »

There wouldn't have been any import duty on the calculator if you'd bought it direct from Swiss Micros. You would have paid the CHF 215 and that's it. Michael deliberately puts a low value on the customs declaration specifically to avoid subjecting customers to the hassle and extra cost.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
gomefun2

Post by gomefun2 »

If this is true, then it cost me a bit extra.

Maybe this post will help someone else to save some money.
rkf

Post by rkf »

grsbanks wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:46 pm
There wouldn't have been any import duty on the calculator if you'd bought it direct from Swiss Micros. ... Michael deliberately puts a low value on the customs declaration specifically to avoid subjecting customers to the hassle and extra cost.
That didn't help with German Customs - they collected 19% Einfuhrumsatzsteuer (import sales tax) on the full amount, demanding the original invoice. But nevertheless a good purchase!
DM42 S/N 00761
Thomas_ER

Post by Thomas_ER »

rkf wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:55 am

... they collected 19%
@rkf: not always ...
[ HP48/49/50/42S/WP34/HP Prime/ DM42 (#00185+00318) ]
Walter

Post by Walter »

Thomas_ER wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:11 am
rkf wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:55 am

... they collected 19%
@rkf: not always ...
Confirmed.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
gomefun2

Post by gomefun2 »

I received my dm42 in the mail yesterday. There was no update through Amazon for tracking information (like there usually is), it just appeared.

I was not charged any additional fees beyond the Amazon price.

The Amazon price was a bit higher than the SwissMircos price.

Amazon seems to have quite a bit of a safety net when it comes to ordering. If your package is lost in the mail, then Amazon will fully refund you etc.

I don't really regret buying it through Amazon, because we have recently had a postal strike here which means the entire mail system is backed up, so it was probably good to have that extra Amazon insurance.