Edit Help file from DM42

Discussion around the SwissMicros DM42 calculator
zooropa1844

Edit Help file from DM42

Post by zooropa1844 »

Good afternoon, everybody. I´d like to change the help file to include other information besides the calculator help but I don´t know how to insert UTF-8 characters in the document to better express some math formulas. I have tried several things as typing &#decimal code of the character in Notepad++ but without success. The idea is to make advantage of the whole character set supported by the calculator.

Any help would be much appreciated!
rprosperi

Re: Edit Help file from DM42

Post by rprosperi »

If the goal is to display these special characters/symbols on the DM42 display, it's impossible to say, since the html viewer implemented in the DM42 is not specifically documented. Once all the code has been released, it will be possible to research this, as SM almost certainly used some existing browser/viewer tool (rather than building their own) which is probably documented (somewhere) by the author of that component. I'd suggest waiting; it is not expected to be too much longer before said information is available, otherwise all you can do is experiment by trying different code to see if it is displayed properly.
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
zooropa1844

Post by zooropa1844 »

Thank you indeed for the answer. Unfortunately I don't have much time to experiment right now so I'll wait for the documentation when it is released as you advise me.
ijabbott

Post by ijabbott »

I found some sort of table of HTML entities in the firmware, containing '&int;' (integral sign), '&' (ampersand), '>' (greater than sign), '<' (less than sign), '&nbsp;' (non-breaking space), '&#9660;' (black down-pointing triangle), '&#9650;' (black up-pointing triangle), '&darr;' (down arrow), '&uarr;' (up arrow), '&larr;' (left arrow), '&rarr;' (right arrow), '&plusmn;' (plus&minus sign), '&divide;' (division sign), '&times;' (multiplication sign), '&Sigma;' (capital Greek sigma), '&Gamma;' (capital Greek Gamma), '&theta;' (lower-case Greek theta).

Not all of the entities worked as expected: '&darr;' displayed an up arrow, '&uarr;' displayed a down arrow, '&larr;' displayed a lower-case Greek mu, '&plusmn;' displayed three characters +/-, '&Gamma;' and '&theta;' displayed as-is (not converted to a single character).

Some UTF-8 sequences in the file display the corresponding Unicode characters, but I haven't determined which ones work yet.