.raw files for all / most / any HP 41 rom images?

Discussion around the Swiss Micros DM42 calculator.
hpgene

.raw files for all / most / any HP 41 rom images?

Post by hpgene » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:13 pm

I note in the software library a thread on the navigation rom programs as .raw files.

For the HP produced rom images containing user HP 41 code, is there a repository of the programs there in .raw format? I realize many of those programs are not the best perhaps, but some might prove useful to load to the DM 42.

?

Thomas Okken

Re: .raw files for all / most / any HP 41 rom images?

Post by Thomas Okken » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:49 pm

hpgene wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:13 pm
I note in the software library a thread on the navigation rom programs as .raw files.

For the HP produced rom images containing user HP 41 code, is there a repository of the programs there in .raw format? I realize many of those programs are not the best perhaps, but some might prove useful to load to the DM 42.

?
I'm not aware of such a repository. However, at one point I downloaded all the ROM images from hp41.org and ran them through rom2raw, a converter that takes HP-41 ROM images and extracts the user code. Most of the ROMs, especially the ones by HP, were mostly or entirely user-code, so the raw files should be usable.

I'm not comfortable with hosting the ROM images or converted raw files myself, unless someone can demonstrate that HP has released those images to the public domain, or under some other license that allows redistribution. I understand there is a kind of uneasy truce between HP and hp41.org about the copyrighted material hosted there, which probably would not extend to thomasokken.com.

(N.B. You can find the aforementioned rom2raw program on my web site.)

hpgene

Re: .raw files for all / most / any HP 41 rom images?

Post by hpgene » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:22 am

As to the release of the rom code by HP, I suspect it falls under the same class as the rom for the 11c, 12c, etc.

Monte also hosts all the HP made roms and the only people inside HP who know they still make calculators has been aware of it for some time.

I think the .raw files of those roms will be a good addition to the Free42 / DM42 world. Will find someone to host them.

Thanks Thomas!