A few to get you started

Library of images to use as OFFIMG screens on the DM41X and DM42
Forum rules
Do you have a creative streak? Post your OFFIMG photos here.

Images MUST be in Windows-NT .bmp format at a resolution of 400x240 pixels and 1-bit colour depth or they will not be displayed by the DM42. Images that do not meet this requirement will be removed from the forum :)
grsbanks

Re: Need help with DM42 pictures

Post by grsbanks »

Jeff O. wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:13 pm
So it is best to convert to grayscale before converting to 1-bit depth?
I don't honestly know, to be honest. I'm just used to doing things one step at a time. Kind of like the Unix philosophy where you have one tool to perform each intermediate task in a composite process instead of the Windows "one tool does everything including the kitchen sink" approach. Old habits die hard :)
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
mwthomasjr

Post by mwthomasjr »

grsbanks wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:39 pm
Jeff O. wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:13 pm
So it is best to convert to grayscale before converting to 1-bit depth?
I don't honestly know, to be honest. I'm just used to doing things one step at a time. Kind of like the Unix philosophy where you have one tool to perform each intermediate task in a composite process instead of the Windows "one tool does everything including the kitchen sink" approach. Old habits die hard :)
You should use the netpbm (or GraphicsMagick or ImageMagick...) command line utilities then :D
DM42 SN: 00079,00635,3643
DM41X
DM15L, DM16L, DM41L
TalenPhillips

Re: A few to get you started

Post by TalenPhillips »

The way I made my album ( viewtopic.php?f=14&t=537 ) was with GIMP.

You can right-click copy an image from your browser, and crop, adjust brightnesses (including per color brightness), and convert to grayscale (gives a good idea of what the final image will look like), then scale.

To convert to 1-bit (with dithering), make sure you have an image that is already the correct size, and go through the following menus:
Image ⇒ Mode ⇒ Indexed ⇒ Use black and white (1-bit) pallette.
Then from the dropdown menu, select Floyd-Steinburg (normal) and click convert.

Done!
revwillie

Post by revwillie »

grsbanks wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:11 pm
toml_12953 wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:59 am
Paint has no dithering. You'll get just black and white patches.
I've always used the GIMP

Start by converting to greyscale at the required resolution of 400x240, then convert to 1-bit depth with Floyd-Steinberg dithering and you'll get pretty good results.
I was using GIMP successfully for a while but now, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Windows 10 warned me my GIMP was out of date and I updated to version 2.10.... I'm using "Image > Mode > Indexed ...to find the option to convert to 1-bit monochrome and choose the dithering method. The bmp files are the expected size in pixels as well as kilobytes. My DM42 won't display them but it will still display the older bmps I made in GIMP prior to the upgrade. Has anyone else run into an issue with the latest stable GIMP?
DM42 SN: 00076
DM15, HP 28c, HP 12c, HP 10b, HP 20b, HP 30b, HP 17bII, HP 42s, HP 35s, WP 34s, NP-25, TI-83+, teenix multicalc