A few to get you started

Library of images to use as OFFIMG screens on the DM42
Forum rules
Do you have a creative streak? Post your OFFIMG photos here.

Please avoid using this forum to host them. Wherever possible, please use third-party hosting for your images, place them in a publicly accessible location and link to them on this forum. This third-party hosting can be your own server if you have one or a service such as PhotoBucket, DropBox or others.

Images MUST be in Windows-NT .bmp format at a resolution of 400x240 pixels and 1-bit colour depth or they will not be displayed by the DM42. Images that do not meet this requirement will be removed from the forum :)
grsbanks

Re: Need help with DM42 pictures

Post by grsbanks » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:39 pm

Jeff O. wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:13 pm
So it is best to convert to grayscale before converting to 1-bit depth?
I don't honestly know, to be honest. I'm just used to doing things one step at a time. Kind of like the Unix philosophy where you have one tool to perform each intermediate task in a composite process instead of the Windows "one tool does everything including the kitchen sink" approach. Old habits die hard :)
Not SwissMicros staff, just an enthusiast.

mwthomasjr

Re: Need help with DM42 pictures

Post by mwthomasjr » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:02 pm

grsbanks wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:39 pm
Jeff O. wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:13 pm
So it is best to convert to grayscale before converting to 1-bit depth?
I don't honestly know, to be honest. I'm just used to doing things one step at a time. Kind of like the Unix philosophy where you have one tool to perform each intermediate task in a composite process instead of the Windows "one tool does everything including the kitchen sink" approach. Old habits die hard :)
You should use the netpbm (or GraphicsMagick or ImageMagick...) command line utilities then :D
DM42 SN: 00079,00635

TalenPhillips

Re: A few to get you started

Post by TalenPhillips » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:54 pm

The way I made my album ( viewtopic.php?f=14&t=537 ) was with GIMP.

You can right-click copy an image from your browser, and crop, adjust brightnesses (including per color brightness), and convert to grayscale (gives a good idea of what the final image will look like), then scale.

To convert to 1-bit (with dithering), make sure you have an image that is already the correct size, and go through the following menus:
Image ⇒ Mode ⇒ Indexed ⇒ Use black and white (1-bit) pallette.
Then from the dropdown menu, select Floyd-Steinburg (normal) and click convert.

Done!