[DM15 V24] Firmware A+ON and SST+ON don't work

If you think you've found a bug in one of these machines, post about it here indicating the steps you perform in order to reproduce it.

Please prefix your topic with the model number in question and firmware version this way:

[DM16 V22] CHS gives unexpected results
Nigel (UK)

[DM15 V24] Firmware A+ON and SST+ON don't work

Post by Nigel (UK) »

Since updating to V24 I can no longer display the time with A+ON; SST+ON doesn't work either. All other ON key operations that I have checked are working fine. (I have tried to downgrade to V23 again but it won't let me; I can live with that.)

Nigel (UK)
rprosperi

Re: [DM15 V24] Firmware A+ON and SST+ON don't work

Post by rprosperi »

Nigel (UK) wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:32 am
Since updating to V24 I can no longer display the time with A+ON; SST+ON doesn't work either. All other ON key operations that I have checked are working fine.
My DM15L (possibly different than a DM15 (no L means the small credit-card size) but I doubt it) with V24 does display Date/Time using [A]+[ON] as normal.

Maybe re-flash the V24 image; possibly something was corrupted during the initial upgrade?
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
olr

Post by olr »

I can confirm this.

[A]+[ON], [SST]+[ON] don't work on my DM15(V24) (and don't on my DM16(V24) either).

However they work as expected on my DM15L.
grsbanks

Post by grsbanks »

This is odd. While the physical layout of the components is clearly different between the DM1x and the DM1xL, their electronics are absolutely identical across all 11 models in the range. The only thing that differentiates them is the software, and even then, only between different "number" models. By that, I mean that a DM16 and DM16L, for example, even use the same firmware.

The first test to do is to see if the on-board RTC is being recognised. Do an [E]+[ON] startup, maintain pressure on [E] and look for "RTC" or "NORTC" in the bottom right hand corner. If you get "NORTC" then the on-board RTC chip is not being seen, which explains why you can't display or set the time & date.

i just downgraded my own DM16L to V23 so the operation is possible. If you're unable to do so then there is a problem somewhere.

I would suggest that you uninstall and reinstall the USB drivers for the DM1x and then try to re-flash V24.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
olr

Post by olr »

First i have to admit, that i have never seen the clock on my DM15/DM16. Both show NORTC.

A few days ago I upgraded them from V16 to V24. Now I downgraded them to V23 and V19 and again they show NORTC. I used a Windows PC and a Linux PC to flash the units several times. I assume my units simply do not have a RTC.
grsbanks

Post by grsbanks »

olr wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:18 pm
I assume my units simply do not have a RTC.
This might well be the case.

V16 was quite an early firmware version and early DM1x units did not have an RTC. It's only with the introduction of the DM41 that the RTC was added and eventually used for DM1x units after the stock of RTC-less PCBs was used. [A]+[ON} and [SST]+[ON] will not work on those early units.

You can confirm this by opening the calculator and looking for the RTC chip. It's a small, 8-pin SMD chip (possibly a PCF8563 from NXP) with a crystal oscillator near it. The foam backing behind the LCD would sometimes partially cover the oscillator.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
Nigel (UK)

Post by Nigel (UK) »

grsbanks wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:44 am
This is odd. While the physical layout of the components is clearly different between the DM1x and the DM1xL, their electronics are absolutely identical across all 11 models in the range. The only thing that differentiates them is the software, and even then, only between different "number" models. By that, I mean that a DM16 and DM16L, for example, even use the same firmware.

The first test to do is to see if the on-board RTC is being recognised. Do an [E]+[ON] startup, maintain pressure on [E] and look for "RTC" or "NORTC" in the bottom right hand corner. If you get "NORTC" then the on-board RTC chip is not being seen, which explains why you can't display or set the time & date.

i just downgraded my own DM16L to V23 so the operation is possible. If you're unable to do so then there is a problem somewhere.

I would suggest that you uninstall and reinstall the USB drivers for the DM1x and then try to re-flash V24.
You are quite correct; there is no problem. In fact I have two DM15 machines, only one of which has the RTC - I had muddled them up! All is behaving as it should, now that I know which machine is which. (The inability to downgrade was solved by pressing more enthusiastically on the Reset button.)

Thank you for listening!

Nigel (UK)
grsbanks

Post by grsbanks »

All's well that ends well :)