DM41 ALMCAT function

If you think you've found a bug in one of these machines, post about it here indicating the steps you perform in order to reproduce it.

Please prefix your topic with the model number in question and firmware version this way:

[DM16 V22] CHS gives unexpected results
sadsilence

DM41 ALMCAT function

Post by sadsilence »

What I like most of DM41(L) is fully integrated time module and time module functions. When playing round with DM41 alarm clock functions I realized some minor display problems in ALMCAT mode.

Here is a short description taken from manual:
When you want to closely examine the Alarm Catalog listing, delete an alarm, or reset a repeating alarm to its next future alarm time, press R/S immediately after executing ALMCAT . This halts the calculator in Alarm Catalog mode and temporarily redefines the keyboeard to perform only the following Alarm Catalog operations:
These key assignments access the alarm to which the alarm catalog is currently set (the ALPHA key is nog used):
T Displays the time to which the alarm is set to activate.
D Displays the alarm date.
R Displays the repeat interval.
Shift-R Resets the alarm to the next futurre occurrence as determined by the repeat interval specified when the alarm was set.
M Displays alarm message, label, or function, if any.
Shift-C Deletes the alarm from memory. The Shift-C key sequence provides the only direct method for deleting a repeating alarm.
These key assignments are also active:
Shift-T Displays the current time at the moment that T is released.
SST Single-steps to the next alarm. (Displays alarm time and date momentarily, then displays the alarm’s message, label, of function—if any.) If the calculator is set to the last alarm in memory, repeats the display of that alarm.
Shift-BST Back-steps to the previous alarm. If the calculator is set to the first alarm in memory, repeats the display of that alarm.
R/S Resumes the ALMCAT listing.
<- Exits alarm catalog mode.
All other keys and/or key assignments (except ON) are deactivated while the calculator is set to Alarm Catalog mode. When the calculator is removed from Alarm Catalog mode, the key assignments that were active before you executed ALMCAT are restored.
When storing some alarms using function XYZALM and entering ALMCAT mode afterwards (XEQ ALPHA ALMCAT ALPHA, pressing R/S immediately) following keys do not react in any way: T, R, Shift-T, SST, Shift-BST
As message (pressing M) always 00:00.00 is displayed.

Follwing keys work as expected: D, Shift-R, Shift-C, R/S, Backspace, On

I use version Firmwareversion V23 und could reproduce behavior on two DM41.

Really no big deal as alarms work as expected.
Last edited by sadsilence on Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kf6gpe

Re: DM41 ALMCAT function

Post by Kf6gpe »

Hey, good feedback, thanks!

I used XYZALM for the first time on my new '41L this week while on a business trip, and I thought it was operator error for me before coffee.

Yeah, I'm seeing the same thing. v23.

When I get back to a computer with a serial port, I was thinking about putting Geir Isene's UAC (https://github.com/isene/hp-41_uac) and trying it, though. Assuming I can remember all the keystrokes. :)
David

Post by David »

sadsilence wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:56 am
When storing some alarms using function XYZALM and entering ALMCAT mode afterwards (XEQ ALPHA ALMCAT ALPHA, pressing R/S immediately) following keys do not react in any way: T, R, Shift-T, SST, Shift-BST

Thanks for the report. Finally found time to looked at that.

I cannot confirm not working SST, Shift-BST - it works well for me.
But you are right with T, R, Shift-T and M.

It is consequence of alpha key remapping on the landscape model. If you look at original HP-41 keyboard R is located at key [7] and T is located at key [9]. So, you can use the [7] and [9] key instead of R and T respectively as a workaround (I have tried that and it works).
The same way M will work at [RCL] key.

I'm creating item in my TODO list to modify time module ROM to remap those keys.
sadsilence

Post by sadsilence »

David wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:43 pm
sadsilence wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:56 am

Thanks for the report. Finally found time to looked at that.

I cannot confirm not working SST, Shift-BST - it works well for me.
But you are right with T, R, Shift-T and M.

It is consequence of alpha key remapping on the landscape model. If you look at original HP-41 keyboard R is located at key [7] and T is located at key [9]. So, you can use the [7] and [9] key instead of R and T respectively as a workaround (I have tried that and it works).
The same way M will work at [RCL] key.

I'm creating item in my TODO list to modify time module ROM to remap those keys.
Thanks for your detailed reply. From your description it should not be to difficult to correct. Checked your workaround successfully and can indeed confirm, that SST/Shift-BST is working contrary to my previous tests. Maybe I was accidentally down to one remaining alarm stored...
Michael
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

Here is a test-version for the DM41 which addresses ALMCAT:
http://www.swissmicros.com/firmware/DM41_24_t2.hex
Dani R.

Post by Dani R. »

Yes, also AMCAT works now as expected.
C47(DM42) SN:00032 WP43 SN:00016
https://47calc.com