AVIEW without prompt (on DM41)

This is the place to discuss the usage of DM1x/DM41 machines and to share any tips & tricks you may have stumbled across.

If discussing a specific model, please ensure that you prefix topic subjects with the model number this way:

[DM41] How to change the number of program steps available
keithdalby

AVIEW without prompt (on DM41)

Post by keithdalby »

My understanding is that AVIEW displays the alpha register and waits for the user to press any key (but not R/S) before resuming the program. Is there a way of displaying text that can be made to change without user input?

Sorry if this is such a brain-dead question, I just cannot seem to figure it out. On the DM42 I'm sure I've written programs that don't halt with AVIEW and wait for input, but that's what the manual says AVIEW does on the HP-41cx
keithdalby

Re: AVIEW without prompt (on DM41)

Post by keithdalby »

Figured it out. AVIEW does not wait for response. Sorry for being dopey.

Edited to add: but I'm sure it does wait for user response in other programs I've written. I need to fiddle a bit more with it.
whuyse

Post by whuyse »

When flag 21 is SET (printer present), AVIEW will stop, and when clear, it will not stop.
Cheers, Werner
41CV†,42S,48GX,49G,DM42,DM41X,17BII,15CE, DM15L
keithdalby

Post by keithdalby »

Thanks Werner, but I'm afraid that hasn't cleared it up. I cleared flag 21 and ran a program. Part of it said the following

Code: Select all

CLA
"GRADIENT="
AVIEW
XEQ GRAD
STOP
Where GRAD is a program that calculates gradient of a regression line using the stats registers. I expected it to flash "GRADIENT=" on the screen briefly before showing the value (the GRAD program just leaves the gradient on the X register after guffing through some arithmetic and recalling some stats stuff). I expected to have to put a PSE or a STOP in after the AVIEW to either pause for a second or force a R/S keypress from the user to move on to the calculation of the gradient, but the program stops and waits for a keypress before executing GRAD. Strange thing is, I don't recall the DM42 I have doing the same thing (but my memory may be faulty).

EDIT TO ADD: It should be possible to have a bunch of AVIEWs with PSEs between them so that messages can scroll through without needing user input, but I'm too dopey to figure out how.
keithdalby

Post by keithdalby »

keithdalby wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:10 pm
It should be possible to have a bunch of AVIEWs with PSEs between them so that messages can scroll through without needing user input, but I'm too dopey to figure out how.
Ah, it is possible. Honestly, sometimes I embarrass myself.

Code: Select all

LBL TEST
CLA
"TEST 1"
AVIEW
PSE
"TEST 2"
AVIEW
END
Works as expected. Now I cannot figure out what I couldn't figure out before.... I'm confused about my confusion. Leave me in a corner to sort myself out, I think.

EDIT TO ADD: ARCL . X with an AVIEW seems to do the job I was after, which is showing the X register when I want to during execution of a program, with ALPHA messages interwoven. Happy now. Sorry I'm such a dunce.