[DM15] Can't enter complex mode

This is the place to discuss the usage of DM1x/DM41 machines and to share any tips & tricks you may have stumbled across.

If discussing a specific model, please ensure that you prefix topic subjects with the model number this way:

[DM41] How to change the number of program steps available
kenk

[DM15] Can't enter complex mode

Post by kenk »

Sorry for a newbie question.

The DM15L I have is running firmware v2.2.

According to references available, "g SF 8" should put the calculator into complex calculating mode. But I only get error code "ERROR 10".

"f i" doesn't do it either.

Is there something I'm missing?
grsbanks

Re: [DM15] Can't enter complex mode

Post by grsbanks »

If you look on the back of the DM15L you'll see that "ERROR 10" means "DIM > MEM", or more generally, not enough memory.

Switching to complex mode requires an additional 5 registers to mirror the stack. Do you have this memory free?

Hit "g MEM" (on the RCL button) and tell us what you see then, including the "A:# B:#...." at the bottom of the screen (that's the size of the 5 matrices that can be stored in the DM15L.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
kenk

Re: [DM15] Can't enter complex mode

Post by kenk »

@grsbanks:

Thanks for jumping in.

My DM15L shows:
"19 -44 234-7
A:0 B:0 C:0 D:0 E:21"

Not sure why the second number on the first row is a negative 44.

Acting on your info ("...essentially, it has something to do with the memory..."), I found out what the keystrokes for a global reset are, executed them, and now MEM shows
"19 211 0-0
A:0 B:0 C:0 D:0 E:0"

And now "g SF 8" works as it should.

Next steps: learn to use the complex number functionality.

Thank you.