New Swiss Micros user - DM-41L

This is the place to discuss the usage of DM1x/DM41 machines and to share any tips & tricks you may have stumbled across.

If discussing a specific model, please ensure that you prefix topic subjects with the model number this way:

[DM41] How to change the number of program steps available
cappy

New Swiss Micros user - DM-41L

Post by cappy »

Hello,

I've just ordered a DM-41L although it hasn't arrived yet.
Is there a manual for the DMs online? I didn't see any on the website. Quite strange.

Is there a way to load the rom images into the DM-41Ls?
I have images of most of the rompacks made, they are freely available online.

Thanks
DM42 SN: 0612
grsbanks

Re: New Swiss Micros user - DM-41L

Post by grsbanks »

Hi there,

Other than the obvious hardware differences (no expansion ports and a USB port for reading/writing dumps of the emulated machine and upgrading the firmware), the DM41 and DM41L are basically the same thing as the HP-41CX.

The manual for the HP-41CX is widely available on the internet, here for example: http://www.greendyk.nl/hp41c-manual/index.php

I don't know about the rompacks.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
Kf6gpe

Post by Kf6gpe »

Yeah, the linked manual grsbanks suggests is a good start. The HPMusem.org memory stick is an awesome resource, too. I just stuck the whole thing on my Chromebook. I don't refer to a lot of it daily, as I find I remember more about using it than I thought I would. The memory stick has some good third-party books on programming and synthetic programming, too.

Cheers,
R.
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

cappy wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:34 pm
Is there a way to load the rom images into the DM-41Ls?
I have images of most of the rompacks made, they are freely available online.
Currently, there is no way to load .ROM or .MOD images in the DM41L. I don't believe Michael has ever definitively said it will or will not happen in the future, but I'd say it's safe to presume it won't, as doing so would be a major undertaking with little real ROI. For example, how many more units would sell?

On the other hand, if you want to explore using ROMs, you should also definitely look at the 41CL (http://www.systemyde.com/hp41/) as that lets you easily use just about ALL the 41 ROMs ever developed.
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
grsbanks

Post by grsbanks »

Also, while I think of it, I can't recommend the MoHPC document set enough.

http://www.hpmuseum.org/cd/cddesc.htm

Head on over to that link to have an overview of what's in the archive set.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
cappy

Post by cappy »

grsbanks wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:16 pm
Hi there,

Other than the obvious hardware differences (no expansion ports and a USB port for reading/writing dumps of the emulated machine and upgrading the firmware), the DM41 and DM41L are basically the same thing as the HP-41CX.
Except for no rompack support, no synthetic programming.
So what else is missing? This is why I want a manual for the DM-41, NOT the HP-41. I already have those.
cappy

Post by cappy »

Currently For example, how many more units would sell?,
I don't know, but it's incompatible without rompack suppport.
On the other hand, if you want to explore using ROMs, you should also definitely look at the 41CL (http://www.systemyde.com/hp41/) as that lets you easily use just about ALL the 41 ROMs ever developed.
The systemyde solution requires a fully working HP-41, it don't help anyone with a dm-41, and its' damn expensive too.
cappy

Post by cappy »

Kf6gpe wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:33 pm
Yeah, the linked manual grsbanks suggests is a good start. The HPMusem.org memory stick is an awesome resource, too. I just stuck the whole thing on my Chromebook. I don't refer to a lot of it daily, as I find I remember more about using it than I thought I would. The memory stick has some good third-party books on programming and synthetic programming, too.

Cheers,
R.
I've got all the HP docs from Hpcalcs.org or whatever the website is.
It's great that they've archived all of that stuff.
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

cappy wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:48 am
The systemyde solution requires a fully working HP-41, it don't help anyone with a dm-41, and its' damn expensive too.
I assumed since you are interested in using 41 ROMs, you may be interested in other solutions that do provide it. "Expensive" is subjective, IMHO. The 41CL provides dramatic performance upgrades, maximum possible 41 memory and essentially unlimited access to all ROMs. A real value, even at it's current price, at least for me. But the DM41L is too, though for different reasons; it's a rugged and reliable 41-style machine I can take anywhere. In my world, there is room for both.
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
cappy

Post by cappy »

rprosperi wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:18 pm
cappy wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:48 am
The systemyde solution requires a fully working HP-41, it doesn't help anyone with a dm-41, and its' damn expensive too.
I assumed since you are interested in using 41 ROMs, you may be interested in other solutions that do provide it. "Expensive" is subjective, IMHO. The 41CL provides dramatic performance upgrades, maximum possible 41 memory and essentially unlimited access to all ROMs. A real value, even at it's current price, at least for me. But the DM41L is too, though for different reasons; it's a rugged and reliable 41-style machine I can take anywhere. In my world, there is room for both.
The reason I asked about loading the ROMS on the 41L is because I can't find a manual which describes how to do it.
Then, someone pointed out thatt he 41-L doesn't support the ROMS at all.

I have i41CX, which also supports all of the rom images (or most of them anyway). 90% of those ROMS are of no interest to me.
It just bugs me that the DMs are not even documented as to which features are implemented and which are left out.
So it's a guess for someone who wants to port there programs from the real HPs, only to find out that many programs just won't
run on the DMs.

I do admit that the 41CX is a real achievement in extending the capability of the 41.