[DM41] Quick Reference Card available...

This is the place to discuss the usage of DM1x/DM41 machines and to share any tips & tricks you may have stumbled across.

If discussing a specific model, please ensure that you prefix topic subjects with the model number this way:

[DM41] How to change the number of program steps available
Kf6gpe

[DM41] Quick Reference Card available...

Post by Kf6gpe »

After traveling on business with the DM41L for a week, I realized there's a few things that don't stick in my head about using it --- some DM41L specific things like the clock view available with [ON]-[A], and a few HP-41CX things I have just forgotten over the years. I whipped up a trifold quick reference card that folds to business card size for the flip case that's got what I needed. You're welcome to use it, and if you've got suggestions for errata or what else should go on it (I'd need to drop something or make it another section longer), I'd love to know.

You can download and make your own from http://tinyurl.com/kf6gpe-dm41-qr. I'm debating doing a limited print run on coated paper at some point. if you're interested in getting one by sending me a SASE, do let me know by email or Twitter (@kf6gpe), as it'll help me make the decision.

(cross-posted to the appropriate sub-forum on The Museum of HP Calculators, http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/).
Last edited by grsbanks on Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Normalized the [DM41] topic subject
grsbanks

Re: [DM41] Quick Reference Card available...

Post by grsbanks »

That's a great idea.

Could you perhaps add the new keystrokes that work with V23 firmware?

[ON] + [<-] = master reset (similar to [ON]+[-] on the DM1x models)
[ON] + [X<>Y] allows you to set the date/time on the DM41. When in that mode, [+] and [-] alter the current field and [x] and [/] allow you to switch fields.

See viewtopic.php?f=12&t=113
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
sadsilence

Post by sadsilence »

Really nice. I would be in for a coated and folded version. Moreover I like the idea of an additional different version: laminated card in A6/C6 size.

Besides that for special characters in alpha mode sometimes [f] key is mentioned sometimes not on first side: perfect! :)
Kf6gpe

Post by Kf6gpe »

grsbanks: Oh! Missed those keys. Yes, will add this week of course and update the linked PDF. I'd forgotten [ON] [X<>Y], even though I used it once.

sadsilence: Good idea. I'll add it to the things to get a quote for. I'll also add you to the list. I've got a few other takers who have private-messaged me in various places, too. Once I let the feedback cycle and invitation settle a bit --- probably in a week or two --- I'll figure out how many for an initial order and get them sourced; I found a good local printer that can do the job for me. And gah! yes about the special characters --- I need to be more consistent about my use of the [f] label and things. Need to take a closer look.

Thank you both!
KimWood

Post by KimWood »

I have recently purchased two copies of the HP 42s quick reference card discussed elsewhere on the Swiss Micros forum and available on eBay, and was happy to pay a few dollars. I have been amazed at how useful the guide has been. That particular guide may provide you with some formatting examples for the DM41 guide. I would encourage you to consider a small format laminated version of your new guide. They are really useful, and there may be some demand. Who knows, SwissMicros may even add it to the items available for purchase on their website along with bespoke cases, etc. Thank you for going to the trouble of creating it.

Regards,

Kim
Kf6gpe

Post by Kf6gpe »

Thanks, Kim!

I'm going off of the 41cx guide, but doing it a lot smaller --- primarily because as you say, if you hunt a bit, the 41 (and 42) guides are pretty readily available on the Internet. I've managed to get ones for each of the two HP-71Bs I have as well for a few dollars apiece. It'll be trifold business card, I think --- I could add more, but think it's a good stopping point, and won't bulk out the L-size case too much (I love that my minimal wallet with drivers license, credit cards and such is almost exactly the same size and thickness as the DM41L in its case!)

As far as I'm concerned, once I make sure I've got all the mistakes out, SwissMicros --- or anyone else --- is also welcome to do a run of them and sell them, too. It took more time to figure out what I really wanted on it than anything else. :)

I'll be doing the first print run in about a week, I think --- if there are other takers, let me know! I'll order a few extras, too, so we have some for stragglers or people who have yet to discover the joy of the DM41.

I'll put you down for one.
KimWood

Post by KimWood »

Thank you. I am looking forward to it.

Regards,

Kim
Kf6gpe

Post by Kf6gpe »

Between interest here and at HP Museum, I've got enough interest to do an order. I'll be putting it in late-ish next week unless I get distracted at home. I'll follow up with people once they come in about getting things out to folks.

Thanks for the positive interest and feedback on the content!
Kf6gpe

Post by Kf6gpe »

The reference cards are being printed this weekend! I should have them by the end of next week. I was able to get the trifold business card size, although not coated --- at the lot size I was going to run, coating was prohibitively expensive.

You can see the final layout at tinyurl.com/kf6gpe-dm41-qr. The panel ordering isn't the same as previously shown to accommodate the fold ---- learn something new every day!

I'll PM those of you who expressed interest with my address. As I mentioned, drop me a SASE and I'll get you one. If you're feeling appreciative, please consider making a donation to a charity you respect that you haven't contributed to in a while (money or time) to pay it forward.
Kf6gpe

Post by Kf6gpe »

So, for new owners in the last six months or so --- lots of these still available for a SASE if you want one. PM me for my address and I'll follow up!